We were delighted to get our hands on a copy of ‘Michael Governey 1852 – 1924’, written by his grandson Mr. Eugene Carbery. The book was launched last week in the Town Hall, with various guest speakers. Congratulations Eugene for a wonderful and informative book – it’s since become a favourite for our volunteers to borrow when they come into the museum.
A copy of ‘Michael Governey’ on display in front of our Governey’s Boot Factory exhibit.
On the 2nd November 2018 we held our Lucinda Sly Walking Tour around Carlow County Museum and Carlow Town; the tour was run as part ofScarefest, a week long Halloween celebration around Carlow. The tour tells the tragic tale of Lucinda Sly, who was hanged for murdering her husband in 1835, along with her alleged accomplice John Dempsey.
Our tour guide John McDarby discusses how Lucinda Sly sold bread and butter in the area around Shamrock Square.
Some of our staff and volunteers took the mantra of ‘making history come alive’ a little too literally and stepped into our Teach Tabhairne display to celebrate World Tourism Day early!
Tomás, Claire, and John busy celebrating World Tourism Day.
Tourism, especially Cultural Tourism, plays an essential role in maintaining and enhancing local history, pride and spirit. Carlow County Museum preserves and exhibits various elements of local history and culture, including Corcoran’s Co. Ltd. and the pub! Continue reading →
Janice De Bróithe, Director and Producer behind Slapdash Theatre Co. visited us to see a poster for her 2015 show the ‘Wizard of Oz’ on display in our Performing Arts section. All cast and crew are welcome to the museum to see how their hard work has been turned into an exhibit for all of Carlow to see.
Janice de Bróithe stands in front of the poster for her 2015 show.
His Excellency, Pierre-Emmanuel de Bauw being brought around the museum by our curator Dermot Mulligan.
On Friday August 31st 2018 we were delighted to welcome His Excellency, Pierre-Emmanuel de Bauw, Ambassador of Belgium to Ireland, to visit Carlow County Museum and Carlow Cathedral. Ambassador de Bauw visited both locations to hear about St. Willibrord’s connection to the county, as Belgium is one of the countries his 7th century mission visited and still has devotion to him to this day. Continue reading →
Help! Historic An Post Letter Box Stolen From Killoughternane, Co Carlow.
An Post, Carlow County Museum and local historians are upset by the recent theft of an out-of-service post box from a wall at Killoughternane in south County Carlow.
The An Post letterbox, stolen from Killoughternane, Co Carlow.
In celebration of the Feast of St Willibrord, Patron Saint of Luxembourg and his Co Carlow connection the Right Reverend Michael Burrows, Bishop of Ossory, Cashel, Ferns, Lismore, Waterford and Leighlin along with the Most Reverend Denis Nulty, Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin invited 5th and 6th class pupils in primary schools in Co. Carlow to take part in an art competition.
Tuesday last, the winners of the competition gathered in Carlow County Museum, with their proud parents to accept their plaques and a class arts supply voucher from Bishop Burrows, Bishop Nulty and Cllr. Fergal Browne, Chair of Carlow County Museum.
First place went to Hannah Kehoe 6th Class Borris N.S., second place to Zach Cassells 6th Class, Carlow N. S. and joint third place to Kacper Gniedziejko 6th Class, Scoil Molaise and Catelyn James Gibbons 6th Class, St Mary’s N. S. Continue reading →
On Saturday 11th March 2017 the Carlow County Museum temporary exhibition gallery has been dedicated in honour of the O’Hanrahan Family/ Uí Annracháin for their contribution to Irish independence. They lived at 90 and 91 Tullow Street in the late 19th and early 20th century. The dedication and plaque unveiling was performed by Pearse O’Hanrahan, great grand nephew of the Richard and Mary O’Hanrahan, and grandnephew of their children Harry, Micheál, Edward, Áine (Ciss), Máire and Eily. Richard was a member of the Fenian’s and 2017 marks the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of their rebellion in 1867. Pearse was accompanied by his brother Harry and several other O’Hanrahan relations were present including Deirdre Lawlor a grand and great grandniece of the O’Hanrahan’s being honoured.
Present at the unveiling were Cllr. John Murphy, Cathaoirleach of Carlow County Council; Cllr. Fintan Phelan, Chairperson of the Carlow Ireland 2016 Committee and Cllr. Fergal Browne, Chairperson of the Board of Carlow County Museum.
Pearse O’Hanrahan and Dermot Mulligan, Curator of Carlow County Museum
The original company was established in 1878 by Thomas Thompson[i]. The business now has over 120 years of experience and has traded through many economic cycles producing engineering products which have been specified by their customers. Those have included farm machinery, turbines, haulage wagons, hydroelectric installations, ammunitions, aeroplane parts, peat processing machinery and much more. First under its founder and afterwards under the late Fred Thompson, the firm expanded to acquire premises and business in Dublin, Waterford, Cork, Wexford, Carrick-on-Suir and Ballyellen[ii].
A portion of the wing from the Bristol F.2 Fighter