What a great way to celebrate International Museums Day, #IMD2020, with the fantastic news that we have been awarded ‘Interim Accreditation under the Museums Standards Programme for Ireland (MSPI)’ by the Heritage Council. The MSPI promotes professional standards in the care of collections in Irish museums and galleries, and this award recognises our achievement of those standards through accreditation.
The Carlow Historical & Archaeological Society (CHAS) was formed in 1946 when a small group of local enthusiasts came together to establish a forum through which the study of local history might be encouraged.
We recently got our hands on a copy of “Nano Nagle – The Life and the Legacy“. The book is the first biographical study of Nano Nagle (foundress of the Presentation order of nuns) and looks at her position within Irish social history and assesses her international legacy.
Carlow County Museum is housed in the former Presentation Convent in Carlow, and Continue reading →
Noreen Whelan and Séamus Ó Murchú, Chairperson of the Board of Carlow County Museum.
A few weeks ago the Museum Board bid a fond farewell to board member Noreen Whelan. Noreen joined the board in 2008, and in 2013 served as chairperson. She was a Carlow Historical and Archaeological Society (CHAS) representative, and is the current acting President of CHAS. She still works in the museum as a volunteer. Continue reading →
His Excellency, Pierre-Emmanuel de Bauw being brought around the museum by our curator Dermot Mulligan.
On Friday August 31st 2018 we were delighted to welcome His Excellency, Pierre-Emmanuel de Bauw, Ambassador of Belgium to Ireland, to visit Carlow County Museum and Carlow Cathedral. Ambassador de Bauw visited both locations to hear about St. Willibrord’s connection to the county, as Belgium is one of the countries his 7th century mission visited and still has devotion to him to this day. Continue reading →
In celebration of the Feast of St Willibrord, Patron Saint of Luxembourg and his Co Carlow connection the Right Reverend Michael Burrows, Bishop of Ossory, Cashel, Ferns, Lismore, Waterford and Leighlin along with the Most Reverend Denis Nulty, Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin invited 5th and 6th class pupils in primary schools in Co. Carlow to take part in an art competition.
Tuesday last, the winners of the competition gathered in Carlow County Museum, with their proud parents to accept their plaques and a class arts supply voucher from Bishop Burrows, Bishop Nulty and Cllr. Fergal Browne, Chair of Carlow County Museum.
First place went to Hannah Kehoe 6th Class Borris N.S., second place to Zach Cassells 6th Class, Carlow N. S. and joint third place to Kacper Gniedziejko 6th Class, Scoil Molaise and Catelyn James Gibbons 6th Class, St Mary’s N. S. Continue reading →
On Saturday 11th March 2017 the Carlow County Museum temporary exhibition gallery has been dedicated in honour of the O’Hanrahan Family/ Uí Annracháin for their contribution to Irish independence. They lived at 90 and 91 Tullow Street in the late 19th and early 20th century. The dedication and plaque unveiling was performed by Pearse O’Hanrahan, great grand nephew of the Richard and Mary O’Hanrahan, and grandnephew of their children Harry, Micheál, Edward, Áine (Ciss), Máire and Eily. Richard was a member of the Fenian’s and 2017 marks the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of their rebellion in 1867. Pearse was accompanied by his brother Harry and several other O’Hanrahan relations were present including Deirdre Lawlor a grand and great grandniece of the O’Hanrahan’s being honoured.
Present at the unveiling were Cllr. John Murphy, Cathaoirleach of Carlow County Council; Cllr. Fintan Phelan, Chairperson of the Carlow Ireland 2016 Committee and Cllr. Fergal Browne, Chairperson of the Board of Carlow County Museum.
Pearse O’Hanrahan and Dermot Mulligan, Curator of Carlow County Museum